FMGE Exam (Foreign Medical Graduate Examination) is a crucial licensure examination conducted in India by the National Board of Examinations (NBE). It serves as a gateway for foreign medical graduates who have obtained their medical qualifications from outside India to practice medicine within the country. The FMGE Exam plays a pivotal role in assessing the medical knowledge, competency, and clinical skills of these graduates, ensuring that they meet the standards necessary to provide quality healthcare services in India.
The FMGE Exam is held twice a year, generally in the months of June and December. It follows a computer-based test (CBT) format, where candidates are assessed through multiple-choice questions (MCQs) covering various subjects from the medical curriculum. The exam is conducted at designated test centers across multiple cities in India, allowing candidates from different regions to participate.
The purpose of the FMGE Exam is to evaluate the competence of foreign medical graduates in line with the standards set by the Medical Council of India (MCI) and other regulatory bodies. By assessing the candidates’ medical knowledge, clinical reasoning abilities, and understanding of ethical and professional responsibilities, the FMGE Exam ensures that they are well-equipped to practice medicine safely and effectively in India.
- 1 Highlight
- 2 Important Dates
- 3 Scheme of FMGE Examination
- 4 Subjects & Marks Distribution
- 5 Allocation of time for FMGE
- 6 Examination Fees
- 7 Admit Card
- 8 Documents Required At Exam Centre
- 9 Registration
- 10 Documents Required For Registration
- 11 FMGE Result
- 12 Exam Centre
- 13 FAQs
- 14 What is FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduate Examination)?
- 15 Q. Who is eligible to appear for FMGE?
- 16 How to apply for FMGE?
- 17 Q. What is the application fee for FMGE?
- 18 Q. What documents are required for FMGE registration?
- 19 Q. What is the syllabus for FMGE?
- 20 Q. Can I choose my preferred exam center for FMGE?
- 21 Q. How many times can I attempt FMGE?
- 22 Q. Is there negative marking in FMGE?
- 23 Q. How is the FMGE exam conducted?
- 24 Q. What is the passing score for FMGE?
- 25 Q. Can I challenge any questions after the FMGE exam?
|Name||Foreign Medical Graduate Examination (FMGE)|
|Purpose||Assess the medical knowledge and skills of foreign medical graduates for practicing medicine in India|
|Conducting Authority||National Board of Examinations (NBE)|
|Exam Frequency||Held twice a year (June and December)|
|Exam Format||Computer-based Test (CBT)|
|Registration Process||Online registration through the official website, submission of required documents and application fee|
|Exam Fee||Rs. 7080|
|Importance||Mandatory for foreign medical graduates to obtain provisional or permanent registration with the Medical Council of India (MCI) or State Medical Councils (SMCs)|
|Exam Result||Individual scores provided after the exam|
|Retake Option||Candidates can retake the FMGE Exam if necessary|
|Additional Resources||Recommended books, online resources, and coaching centers available for preparation|
|Online Submission of Applications||31st May 2023 (3 PM Onwards) to 20th June 2023 (Till 11:55 PM)|
|Edit Window for All Payment Success Applications (Any information/documents can be edited except Name, Nationality, Email, Mobile number and Test City)||23rd June to 26th June 2023|
|Final Edit Window to rectify Deficient/IncorrectImages (No further opportunity shall be given)|
3. Thumb Impression
|7th July 2023 to 10th July 2023|
|Opportunity to rectify deficiencies related to documents upload in the application:|
1. Primary Medical Qualification Certificate (PMQC)
2. Apostille/Attestation of PMQC by Indian embassy concerned
3. Eligibility Certificate or Admission Letter
4. Proof of Citizenship
|Through Online Deficient Document Submission Portal (http://exam.natboard.edu.in/fmge.php)Portal will be closed on 13th July 2023 at 11:55 PM|
|Final opportunity to rectify deficiencies related to documents upload in the application (A list of such candidates will be published on NBEMS website)||18th July (11 AM onwards) to 20th July 2023 (Till 11:55 PM)|
|Issue of Admit Card||25th July 2023|
|Examination Date||30th July 2023|
|Declaration of Result||By 30th August 2023|
To be eligible for the FMGE Exam, candidates must meet the following criteria:
|Citizenship||The candidate must be a citizen of India or an Overseas Citizen of India.|
|Primary Medical Qualification||The candidate should possess a primary medical qualification recognized by the Indian Embassy, which allows them to enroll as a medical practitioner in the country where the qualification was obtained.|
|Documentary Evidence||Candidates must submit proof or documentary evidence that confirms the result declaration of their primary medical qualification by the specified cut-off date. The submitted document should demonstrate the successful completion of all required courses with eligible results as per the institution’s requirements.|
|Eligibility Certificate||candidates should obtain an “Eligibility Certificate” from the National Medical Commission (formerly Medical Council of India). This requirement is not necessary for Indian citizens or Overseas Citizens of India|
|NEET Requirement||Indian citizens/Overseas Citizens of India intending to obtain a primary medical qualification from a foreign medical institution on or after May 2018 must qualify the “National-Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test for Admission to MBBS course.|
|Exemption||Candidate holds an Undergraduate & Postgraduate medical qualification from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, or the United States of America.|
Scheme of FMGE Examination
The FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduate Examination) is conducted in a specific format to assess the knowledge and competence of foreign medical graduates. Here is an overview of the scheme of the FMGE examination:
- Structure: The examination consists of a single paper comprising of 300 multiple-choice questions (MCQs). Each question will have four response options in English language only.
- Question Format: Candidates are required to select the correct, best, or most appropriate response/answer from the four response options provided for each question.
- Two Parts: The paper is delivered in two parts, which are taken on the same day. Each part consists of 150 questions, and candidates are given 150 minutes to complete each part.
- Computer-based Test: The FMGE examination is delivered as a computer-based test using a computer network, following the prescribed scheme.
- No Negative Marking: There is no negative marking for incorrect answers. Candidates are encouraged to attempt all questions without the fear of losing marks.
- Minimum Passing Marks: To pass the FMGE examination, a candidate must obtain a minimum of 150 marks out of 300. The results (Pass/Fail) for eligible candidates will be displayed on the official website of the National Board of Examinations (NBEMS).
- Result Evaluation: There is no provision for re-totaling or reevaluation of the examination results. Once the results are declared, they are considered final.
- Attempts: Candidates can attempt the FMGE examination multiple times. There are no restrictions on the number of attempts. However, once a candidate successfully qualifies the FMGE, they are not eligible to retake the examination. Any attempt made by a candidate in violation of this rule will be considered void and canceled.
The FMGE examination aims to ensure that foreign medical graduates possess the necessary knowledge and skills required to practice medicine in India. By following this prescribed scheme, the examination maintains a fair and standardized assessment process for all candidates.
Subjects & Marks Distribution
Pre & Para Clinical Subjects
|Important topics||No of questions|
|Important topics||No of questions|
|Medicine and allied subjects1. Medicine2. Psychiatry3. Dermatology and STD4. Radiotherapy||33555|
|General Surgery and allied subjects1. General Surgery2. Anaesthesiology3. Orthopaedics4. Radiodiagnosis||32555|
|Obstetrics and Gynaecology||30|
Allocation of time for FMGE
|Activities||Part – I(9:00 AM – 11:30 AM)||Part – II(2:00 PM – 04:30 PM)|
|Allow Candidates to enter the examination centre and Commence Registration||07:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Entry closes at Examination Center||08:30 AM||01:30 PM|
|Grant access for Candidate Login||08:45 AM||01:45 PM|
|Candidates log in to read instructions||08:50 AM||01:50 PM|
|Exam Start Time||09:00 AM||02:00 PM|
|Exam End Time||11:30 AM||04:30 PM|
|Examination Fees||GST @18%||Total Amount Payable|
|Rs. 6,000||Rs. 1,080||Rs. 7,080|
- Application forms once submitted cannot be withdrawn, and the fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
- The exam fee should be paid through the provided payment gateway using a Credit Card or Debit Card issued by Indian banks or other available modes specified on the web page.
- Examination fees will be forfeited for candidates who are absent or declared ineligible.
The admit card is a crucial document that serves as an entry ticket for candidates appearing in the FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduate Examination). It is an official document issued by the National Board of Examination (NBE) and contains important information related to the examination. The admit card is made available on the NBE’s official website, and candidates are required to download and print it before the examination day.
- The admit card for the FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduate Examination) will be available on the official website of the National Board of Examination (NBE) at https://natboard.edu.in.
- The admit card will be made live on the website on 25th July 2023.
- Candidates who are found ineligible before the examination will not be issued the admit card.
- Candidates will receive SMS/Email alerts and website notices regarding the availability of the admit card on the NBEMS (National Board of Examinations Medical Sciences) website.
- It is important to note that the admit card will not be sent to candidates via post or email.
- The admit card contains important details such as the candidate’s name, photograph, examination date, time, venue, and instructions for the examination.
- It is mandatory to present the admit card along with a valid photo ID proof at the examination center for verification purposes.
- Candidates who fail to produce the admit card will not be allowed to appear for the FMGE examination.
Documents Required At Exam Centre
- Printed copy of Barcoded/QR Coded Admit card with his/her photograph pasted on it.
- Any one of the below mentioned Govt issued photo IDs
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- Voter ID
- Aadhaar Card (with Photograph)
Note: Candidates will only be permitted to enter the examination premises if they possess the original hard copy of a valid ID proof. Photocopies of government-issued ID proofs will not be considered valid and will not be accepted.
The FMGE registration process can be completed by following the steps below:
- Visit the official website of the National Board of Examination and select the FMGE option.
- Click on “New Registration” and carefully read the instructions provided.
- Submit your personal details, including your name, contact number, email address, etc.
- After submitting the personal details, you will receive login credentials on your registered phone number or email address via SMS or email.
- Log in again using the provided credentials (login ID and password).
- Upload your academic details, such as educational qualifications, and upload scanned copies of your passport-sized photograph, signature, and thumb impression.
- Select your preferred exam center from the available options.
- Pay the required fee for the FMGE December session. The application fee for FMGE 2023 is INR 7,080, and candidates can make the payment online through the provided payment gateway.
Documents Required For Registration
By following these steps and completing the payment process, candidates will successfully register for the FMGE examination. It is important to ensure that all the information provided is accurate and the required documents are uploaded as per the specified guidelines.
During the FMGE registration process, the following documents are generally required:
- Recent Passport size photograph: The photograph should adhere to the guidelines specified by the NBE. It should have a white background, the candidate’s name, and the date of capturing the photograph.
- Scanned signature: The signature should be made with a blue or black pen and should not contain any overwriting. Signatures written in capital letters will be rejected.
- Clear thumb impression: A clear thumb impression should be provided with a white background.
- Identity card issued by the government of India: A valid identity card issued by the government of India, such as Aadhaar card, PAN card, Voter ID card, or passport, needs to be submitted for verification.
- Medical degree copy or scanned copy: A copy of the candidate’s medical degree should be provided. This can be either a physical copy or a scanned copy.
- Scanned copy of the MBBS pass certified by the Indian Embassy: Candidates who have completed their MBBS from a foreign medical institution should provide a scanned copy of the MBBS pass certificate certified by the Indian Embassy situated in that particular country.
- Copy of 12th mark sheet: A copy of the candidate’s 12th-grade mark sheet should be submitted as proof of completion of the secondary education level.
- Date of birth certificate: A valid date of birth certificate should be provided for age verification.
- Internship Certificate: Candidates should submit an internship certificate as proof of completion of the mandatory internship period during their medical education.
It is important to note that these document requirements may vary, and candidates should refer to the official guidelines and instructions provided by the National Board of Examination (NBE) for the most accurate and up-to-date information.
The FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduate Examination) follows the following result declaration and verification process:
- Passing Criteria: To pass the FMGE, a candidate must obtain a minimum of 150 marks out of 300 in the examination. The result is declared as Pass or Fail.
- Challenging Questions: Candidates can challenge any question asked in the FMGE examination within 5 calendar days after the examination, provided they have supportive medical literature. Challenges must be submitted through the registered email ID on the Communication Web Portal of NBEMS (National Board of Examination). Claims made beyond 5 days of the examination will not be entertained, and claims regarding the difficulty level of a question will not be considered.
- Re-evaluation and Re-totaling: There is no provision for re-evaluation, rechecking, or re-totaling of the FMGE examination. Requests for such processes will not be entertained.
- Result Declaration: The results for the FMGE June 2023 session are expected to be declared by 30th August 2023. Candidates can check their results on the official website of NBEMS at https://natboard.edu.in.
- Score Card: Qualified candidates can download their scorecards through the applicant login using their User ID and Password.
- Pass Certificates: Qualified candidates will be issued Pass Certificates after an in-person document and identity verification process. The certificates are typically issued within four weeks of the result declaration, but this period may vary due to unforeseen circumstances.
The FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduate Examination) is conducted at various exam centers across India. The specific exam centers may vary for each session, and candidates can select their preferred exam center during the application process. Here is a general overview of the exam centers for FMGE:
What is FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduate Examination)?
FMGE, also known as the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination, is a licensure examination conducted by the National Board of Examinations (NBE) in India. It is a screening test for Indian citizens or Overseas Citizens of India (OCIs) who have obtained their medical qualifications from foreign medical institutions and want to practice medicine in India.
Q. Who is eligible to appear for FMGE?
Indian citizens and Overseas Citizens of India (OCIs) who have obtained their primary medical qualifications from foreign medical institutions are eligible to appear for FMGE. They must also fulfill other eligibility criteria specified by the National Medical Commission (NMC) or the erstwhile Medical Council of India (MCI).
How to apply for FMGE?
To apply for FMGE, candidates need to visit the official website of the National Board of Examinations (NBE) and follow the registration process. They must fill out the application form, provide required personal and academic details, upload necessary documents, select the exam center, and pay the application fee online.
Q. What is the application fee for FMGE?
A. The application fee for FMGE is Rs. 7080.
Q. What documents are required for FMGE registration?
A. The documents required for FMGE registration typically include a recent passport-size photograph, scanned signature, clear thumb impression, identity card issued by the government of India, medical degree copy, scanned copy of the MBBS pass certified by the Indian Embassy, copy of 12th mark sheet, date of birth certificate, and internship certificate.
Q. What is the syllabus for FMGE?
A. The syllabus for FMGE is based on the curriculum of the MBBS program in India. It covers all the subjects and topics taught during the undergraduate medical education. The detailed syllabus can be obtained from the official website of NBE or the information bulletin for FMGE.
Q. Can I choose my preferred exam center for FMGE?
A. Yes, candidates are allowed to select their preferred exam center during the registration process. The availability of exam centers may vary, and candidates should choose a center that is convenient for them.
Q. How many times can I attempt FMGE?
A. There is no restriction on the number of attempts for FMGE. Candidates can attempt the examination multiple times until they pass. However, once a candidate qualifies the FMGE, they are not eligible to take the exam again.
Q. Is there negative marking in FMGE?
A. No, there is no negative marking in FMGE. Candidates are not penalized for wrong answers. It is advisable to attempt all the questions and provide the best possible response for each.
Q. How is the FMGE exam conducted?
A. The FMGE exam is conducted as a computer-based test (CBT). It consists of multiple-choice questions (MCQs) where candidates need to select the correct answer out of the given options. The exam is delivered through a computer network at designated test centers.
Q. What is the passing score for FMGE?
A. In order to pass FMGE, a candidate must obtain a minimum of 150 marks out of 300 in the examination. Candidates scoring below this threshold will be declared as “Fail” in the examination.
Q. Can I challenge any questions after the FMGE exam?
A. Yes, candidates can challenge any question asked in the FMGE examination within 5 calendar days after the conduct of the exam. However, challenges related to technical errors must be supported by supportive medical literature.