Medical Colleges in Assam is affiliated with the Srimanta Sankaradeva University of Health Sciences and are noted for their high-quality education, cutting-edge facilities, and skilled professors. These colleges have made major contributions to the growth of the state’s healthcare industry by generating skilled medical professionals who serve the people of Assam and beyond.
Assam, a state in Northeast India, is home to some of the country’s best medical colleges. The state has a thriving medical education sector, with both public and private institutions offering a variety of undergraduate and postgraduate medical programmes.
The medical colleges in Assam offer a diverse range of medical programs, including undergraduate MBBS courses, postgraduate MD/MS courses, and super-specialty courses such as DM and MCh. These programs are designed to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the theoretical and practical aspects of medicine, and equip them with the skills required to become competent healthcare professionals.
Whether you are a student interested in pursuing a career in medicine or a medical practitioner trying to advance your abilities, the medical colleges in Assam provide a variety of alternatives to help you reach your objectives.
Medical Course Facts
|Examination Type||NEET-UG Exam||NEET-PG Exam|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology||MBBS degree|
|Duration||5.5 years||3 years|
|Popular Medical College in India||-AIIMS |
-CMC Vellore JIPMER
|Popular Medical College in Assam||-Gauhati Medical College and Hospital, Guwahati|
-Assam Medical College and Hospital, Dibrugarh
-Jorhat Medical College and Hospital, Jorhat
-Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed Medical College and Hospital, Barpeta
-Silchar Medical College and Hospital, Silchar
|-Gauhati Medical College and Hospital, Guwahati|
-Assam Medical College and Hospital, Dibrugarh
-Jorhat Medical College and Hospital, Jorhat
- 1 Why Assam is a popular destination for Medical aspirants?
- 2 About Medical Course (MBBS & MD/MS)
- 3 Career Opportunities & Scope
- 4 Salary Range & Job Outlook
- 5 Eligibility Criteria For UG Course
- 6 NEET UG Cut Off
- 7 Eligibility Criteria for PG Course
- 8 NEET PG Cut-Off 2023
- 9 Assam NEET Counselling Process
- 10 Documents Required
- 11 Documents Required for PG Course
- 12 Counselling Fee
- 13 Documents Required for UG Courses
- 14 Participating Medical Colleges
- 15 NEET College Predictors
- 16 NEET Rank Predictors
- 17 Expert Admission Consultants
- 18 How many medical colleges are there in Assam?
- 19 Q. Are all medical colleges in Assam government colleges?
- 20 Q. Is it difficult to get admission to medical colleges in Assam?
- 21 Q. Which is the oldest medical college in Assam?
- 22 Q. Is there reservation for students from Assam in medical colleges in the state?
- 23 Q. What is the total number of seats available in medical colleges in Assam?
- 24 Q. Are there any private medical colleges in Assam?
- 25 Q. What is the eligibility criteria for admission to medical colleges in Assam?
- 26 Q. What are the top medical colleges in Assam?
- 27 Q. What is the duration of MBBS course in medical colleges in Assam?
- 28 Q. What are the different courses offered by medical colleges in Assam?
Why Assam is a popular destination for Medical aspirants?
- Reputed Medical Colleges: Assam has several reputed medical colleges that offer quality education and training in various medical courses. Some of the top medical colleges in the state include Gauhati Medical College and Hospital, Assam Medical College and Hospital, Jorhat Medical College and Hospital, Silchar Medical College and Hospital, and Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed Medical College and Hospital, among others.
- Affordable Education: The cost of education in Assam is comparatively lower than other parts of the country, making it a more affordable option for medical aspirants.
- Strong Healthcare System: Assam has a well-established healthcare system, and the state government is committed to improving healthcare facilities in the state. This has created a high demand for healthcare professionals, making it an attractive destination for medical aspirants.
- Cultural Diversity: Assam is known for its cultural diversity and rich heritage. Studying in Assam provides an opportunity for students to experience this diverse culture and learn from it.
- Growing Medical Tourism: Assam has become a popular destination for medical tourism due to its advanced medical facilities and affordable healthcare services. This has created a need for skilled medical professionals, making it a promising career option for medical aspirants.
About Medical Course (MBBS & MD/MS)
- Medical education in India includes a wide range of courses at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. In India, the two most popular medical curricula are MBBS and MD/MS.
- The MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) degree programme lasts five and a half years. The programme consists of four and a half years of academic study and one year of mandatory internship. Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Pathology, Microbiology, and Forensic Medicine are among the subjects covered in the programme.
- Students who have completed their MBBS can pursue postgraduate medical courses such as MD (Doctor of Medicine) and MS (Master of Surgery). The MD programme is a three-year postgraduate programme that focuses on clinical, non-surgical fields of medicine, whereas the MS programme focuses on surgical fields of medicine.
- Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Dermatology, Radiology, Anesthesiology, Orthopaedics, Ophthalmology, and many other specialisations are available in MD and MS programmes.
- Students interested in pursuing MBBS and MD/MS programmes in India must pass the NEET (National Eligibility Cumulative Entrance Test) exam, which is administered by the National Testing Agency (NTA). The exam is required for admission to all medical schools in the country.
Career Opportunities & Scope
Medical candidates with an MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) or MD/MS (Doctor of Medicine/Master of Surgery) degree have a diverse range of job options. Some prominent employment paths for medical graduates include:
- Clinical Practise: MBBS graduates have the option of working as a general practitioner or family physician. MD/MS graduates can pursue careers as specialists in fields such as surgery, obstetrics and gynaecology, paediatrics, ophthalmology, and so on.
- Research: Medical graduates can work in pharmaceutical businesses, research organisations, or university institutions to pursue a career in research.
- Academics: Medical graduates can pursue a career as faculty members in medical colleges or universities.
- Public Health: Medical graduates with a background in public health can work in government or private organisations that focus on public health programmes such as health promotion, illness prevention, and healthcare policy.
- Hospital Management: Medical graduates can also serve as hospital administrators or healthcare managers in hospital management.
- Entrepreneurship: Medical graduates with a bachelor’s degree can open their own private clinics, hospitals, or healthcare-related companies.
Medical applicants have a wide range of chances for career advancement and professional development. The demand for competent and qualified medical personnel is likely to rise in the coming years as medical research and technology develop.
Salary Range & Job Outlook
- Medical candidates’ income ranges and career prospects vary depending on aspects such as location, experience, and speciality. Medical experts, on the other hand, are often well compensated and in high demand.
- As per report, the average compensation for an MBBS graduate in India is around INR 724,000 per year, whereas the average salary for an MD/MS graduate is around INR 1,382,000 per year. However, these figures can vary greatly depending on region, experience, and expertise.
- Medical personnel are in high demand in India and around the world. The need for healthcare services and medical experts is predicted to rise as the population grows. According to the Bureau of Labour Statistics (BLS), employment of physicians and surgeons in the United States is expected to expand at the same rate as the national average from 2019 to 2029.
- The job market for medical candidates is promising, with numerous career routes and prospects for growth and promotion.
Here is an approximate salary range for MBBS and MD/MS graduates in various job profiles based on industry standards and research:
|Job Profile||Salary Range for MBBS||Salary Range for MD/MS|
|General Physician||INR 4,00,000 – 10,00,000 per annum||INR 6,00,000 – 20,00,000 per annum|
|Medical Officer||INR 3,00,000 – 8,00,000 per annum||INR 6,00,000 – 15,00,000 per annum|
|Resident Doctor||INR 3,00,000 – 10,00,000 per annum||INR 6,00,000 – 20,00,000 per annum|
|Junior Consultant||INR 5,00,000 – 15,00,000 per annum||INR 10,00,000 – 25,00,000 per annum|
|Senior Consultant||INR 10,00,000 – 25,00,000 per annum||INR 20,00,000 – 50,00,000 per annum|
|Medical Professor||INR 8,00,000 – 20,00,000 per annum||INR 15,00,000 – 35,00,000 per annum|
|Medical Researcher||INR 4,00,000 – 15,00,000 per annum||INR 8,00,000 – 25,00,000 per annum|
Eligibility Criteria For UG Course
|Qualify Exam||NEET conducted By NTA|
|Nationality||Applicants must be Indian citizens.NRI candidates with Indian passports are also eligible to apply. Under the NRI Category, overseas citizens of India (OCI) and Persons of Indian origin (PIO) are eligible to apply.|
|Age Limit||17 years old (as of December 31).|
|Qualification||The candidate must have passed from a recognized board/institute with a Class 12 credential or equivalent. In addition, the qualifying test should include biology, chemistry, English, and physics as core subjects.A minimum of 50% is required for the general category, 40% for SC/ST, and 45% for physically disabled candidates.|
NEET UG Cut Off
|Category||Qualifying criteria||NEET Cutoff 2022||NEET Cutoff 2023|
|UR / EWS & PH||45th Percentile||116-105||136-121|
|OBC & PH||40th Percentile||104-93||120-107|
|SC & PH||40th Percentile||104-93||120-107|
|ST & PH||40th Percentile||104-93||120-108|
Eligibility Criteria for PG Course
|Entrance Exam:||NEET PG Exam|
|Age||No age restrictions|
|Internship||Mandatory experience of 1-year internship after MBBS course|
|Qualification||Candidates must have an MBBS degree from a recognized educational institute or an equivalent degree. Candidates must have secured a minimum of 50% aggregate marks to sit for the Exam PG exam, qualifying via which they will get admission to PG courses|
NEET PG Cut-Off 2023
|Categories||Cut off percentile 2023||Cutoff marks 2023|
Assam NEET Counselling Process
- Visit the official website of Assam NEET Counselling: dme.assam.gov.in.
- Select the “MBBS/BDS Counselling” option.
- Read all the instructions carefully and click the “Apply Now” button.
- Fill in all the required information, including personal, academic, and address details.
- Upload a scanned image of your signature and a photograph. Ensure that the image size for both the signature and photograph is between 35 to 20 kilobytes and 30 to 15 kilobytes, respectively. These files should be in either .jpeg or .jpg format.
- Double-check the information you’ve entered, and when everything is accurate, click the “Submit” button.
- After successfully submitting the online application form, print the e-challan.
- Deposit the required fee of INR 1240 (plus bank charges of INR 60) at any State Bank of India branch on the second working day following the submission of your application. You will receive a copy of the challan as proof of payment.
- It’s advisable to print the Assam MBBS/BDS application form for future reference.
|Counseling Fees (Non-refundable)||INR 500/-|
- During the choice declaration process, indicate your college and course preferences. You can choose as many colleges and courses as you desire. You can access the previous year’s allotment list to help you make your selections.
- After each round of counseling, the seat allotment results will be announced. These results will be available in the form of a seat allotment list and a seat allotment letter. You can check your name, roll number, allotted category, candidates’ category, allotted college, quota, and course in the NEET seat allotment list. The seat allotment letter is a crucial document that you will need to submit when reporting to the allotted college, along with other mandatory documents.
Reporting to the Allotted College:
- Candidates must report to the allotted college to complete the admission formalities. At this time, you should submit the original copies of the mandatory documents required for admission.
- NEET Admit Card
- NEET Rank Card
- OMR Sheet of NEET UG
- 12th Admit Card, Mark Sheet and Passing Certificate
- 10th Admit Card, Mark Sheet & Passing Certificate
- Caste Certificate (if applicable)
- Residence Certificate
- PH Certificate (if applicable)
- Passport Size Photographs
Documents Required for PG Course
- MBBS pass certificate and completion certificate.
- NEET PG 2023 admit card.
- NEET PG 2023 scorecard.
- Final MBBS part II mark sheet.
- CRRI certificate.
- Community certificate, if applicable.
- Permanent/provisional medical registration certificate issued by NMC.
MCC Counseling Registration
|1||Visit MCC Official Website||Go to the official MCC Counselling 2023|
|2||Find the Registration Link||Locate and click on the “Registration” or “New Registration” link on the homepage.|
|3||Read the Instructions||Carefully read and understand the provided instructions, guidelines, and eligibility criteria.|
|4||Fill in Personal Details||Enter accurate personal information: full name, date of birth, gender, contact number, email, etc.|
|5||NEET UG Details||Provide NEET UG exam details: roll number, application number, and exam year.|
|6||Generate Login Credentials||Create a unique username and strong password for future access to the counseling portal.|
|7||Payment of Registration Fee||Pay the prescribed fee using available online payment options. Follow provided payment instructions.|
|8||Verify and Submit||Review entered information, make corrections if needed, and submit the registration form.|
|9||Confirmation and Printout||Receive a confirmation message/email upon successful submission. Print or save as PDF for records.|
|10||Keep Registration Details Secure||Safely store registration number, login credentials, and payment receipt for future reference.|
|15% AIQ/Central Universities||Rs. 1,000||Rs. 500|
|Deemed University||Rs. 5,000||Rs. 5,000|
Security Fee (Refundable)
|15% AIQ/Central Universities||Rs. 1,0000||Rs. 5,000|
|Deemed University||Rs. 2,00,000||Rs. 2,00,000|
MCC Counselling Process
MCC will be the conducting the counselling process for admission to Medical, Dental Colleges and Nursing Colleges for the AIQ, Central Institues, University, AIMS, JIPMER , Deemed universities, AMU, BHU and etc. The Counselling will be held in Four Rounds Namely Round 1, Round 2, Round 3 and additional Round known as Stray vacancy round which will be the last round for the counselling and admission. Here’re are some details about each round given below:
- Register for Main Counseling: Visit www.mcc.nic.in and register for Round-1 by paying a Non-Refundable Registration fee and Refundable Security Deposit.
- Choice Filling and Locking: Choose your preferred institutes and courses during the specified days and lock your choices.
- Seat Allotment Round-1: Based on your choices and merit, seats will be allotted in Round-1.
- Result Publication: The Round-1 result will be published on the MCC website.
- Upload Essential Certificates: After the result is declared, upload the necessary certificates as per the guidelines.
- Physical Reporting: If allotted a seat, physically report to the allocated Medical/Dental College with original documents. Those who want to upgrade to Round-2 must report with their original documents.
- Candidates Not Allotted in Round-1: If you weren’t allotted a seat in Round-1, no need to register again. You will automatically be considered for Round-2.
- Fresh Registration for Round-2: New candidates or those who didn’t register in Round-1 must register for Round-2 by paying the fees.
- Choice Filling and Locking: Fill new choices and lock them during the specified period.
- Seat Allotment Round-2: Seats will be allotted based on your choices and merit.
- Result Publication: The Round-2 result will be published on the MCC website.
- Upload Essential Certificates: After the Round-2 result is declared, upload the necessary certificates as per the guidelines.
- Physical Reporting: If allotted a seat in Round-2, physically report to the allocated Medical/Dental College. Upgraded candidates must take relieving from Round-1 seat and join Round-2 seat.
- Candidates Not Allotted in Previous Rounds: If you were not allotted a seat in Round-1 or Round-2, no need to register again. You will be considered for Round-3.
- Fresh Registration for Round-3: New candidates or those who didn’t register in Round-1 or Round-2 must register for Round-3 by paying the fees.
- Choice Filling and Locking: Fill new choices and lock them during the specified period.
- Seat Allotment Round-3: Seats will be allotted based on your choices and merit.
- Result Publication: The Round-3 result will be published on the MCC website.
- Upload Essential Certificates: After the Round-3 result is declared, upload the necessary certificates as per the guidelines.
- Physical Reporting: If allotted a seat in Round-3, physically report to the allocated Medical/Dental College.
FINAL STRAY VACANCY ROUND:
- Fresh Registrations: Candidates must register for the Final Stray Vacancy Round.
- Elimination: Candidates with allotted seats in other rounds will be eliminated from the Stray Vacancy Round.
- Stray Vacancy Round: The AIQ Stray Vacancy Round for vacant seats will be conducted online by MCC of DGHS, MoHFW.
- Seat Allotment: Seats will be allotted based on merit in the Stray Vacancy Round.
- Joining Allotted Seat: If allotted a seat in the Stray Round, the candidate must join the allocated seat/college. Failure to join will result in debarment from NEET examination for 01 year and forfeiture of fees.
(Note: Candidates can participate in Round-2 or Round-3 directly without fresh registration if they are not allotted a seat in the previous round. Upgraded candidates cannot claim their previous round seat.)
Documents Required for UG Courses
- NEET-UG Admissions card and score card.
- Class X Mark Sheet
- Class XI Mark Sheet
- H.S.C. Mark sheet or any other equivalent exam.
- Transfer certificate
- Graduation Certificate (if required)
- Permanent Community Certificate Card.
- Income Certificate for the candidates claiming fee exemption.
- Special Category Form with an additional fee of Rs.100/- via Bank payment portal with relevant certificates for Persons with Benchmark Disabilities, Eminent Sports Person and Ex-Servicemen, as applicable, along with the online application form should be uploaded.
Participating Medical Colleges
Government Medical College
|College Name||Affiliation||Institute Type||Established Year||Seat Intake||Tuition Fees|
|Tezpur Medical College & Hospital, Tezpur||Srimanta Shankardeva University of Health Sciences||Govt.||2014||125||29,650|
|Silchar Medical College And Hospital Silchar||Srimanta Shankardeva University of Health Sciences||Govt.||1968||125||30,000|
|Nagaon Medical College, Nagaon||Srimanta Shankardeva University of Health Sciences||Govt.||2023||100||N/A|
|Lakhimpur Medical College, Lakhimpur||Srimanta Shankardeva University of Health Sciences||Govt.||2021||100||29,000|
|Kokrajhar Medical College||Srimanta Shankardeva University of Health Sciences||Govt.||2023||100||N/A|
|Jorhat Medical College & Hospital , Jorhat||Srimanta Shankardeva University of Health Sciences||Govt.||2010||125||29,000|
|Gauhati Medical College, Guwahati||Srimanta Shankardeva University of Health Sciences||Govt.||1960||200||32,400|
|Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed Medical College, Barpeta, Assam||Srimanta Shankardeva University of Health Sciences||Govt-Society||2012||125||24,200|
|Diphu Medical College & Hospital, Diphu||Srimanta Shankardeva University of Health Sciences||Govt.||2020||100||29,000|
|Dhubri Medical College, Dhubri||Srimanta Shankardeva University of Health Sciences||Govt.||2022||100||24,900|
|Assam Medial College, Dibrugarh||Srimanta Shankardeva University of Health Sciences||Govt.||1947||200||30,000|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Guwahati||Statutory Autonomous, AIIMS (Guwahati)||Govt.||2017||50||N/A|
Private Medical Colleges
As of now, there are no private medical colleges in Assam. All the medical colleges in the state are run by either the government or semi-government organizations.
Although there are no private medical colleges in Assam at present, the state government is taking steps to encourage private players to establish medical colleges in the state to further improve the quality of medical education and healthcare services.
NEET College Predictors
We understand the significance of choosing the right medical college for your bright future. Our website offers a variety of college predictors to ensure that you make informed decisions during the NEET counseling process.
With our NEET Score Predictor, input your NEET score, and instantly receive a personalized list of colleges where you have a higher chance of getting admitted. Our state-wise and category-based predictors further refine your options based on your preferences, giving you accurate and tailored results. we have offered you the top-of-the-class college predictors here’s the list of the college predictor for you;
- MBBS College Predictors
- BDS College Predictors
NEET Rank Predictors
NEET Rank Predictors are innovative tools designed to assist medical aspirants in estimating their All India Rank (AIR) in the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET). As one of the most competitive medical entrance exams in India, NEET plays a pivotal role in determining admission to undergraduate medical courses. NEET Rank Predictors empower students with insights into their performance, helping them set realistic goals and make informed decisions during the college selection process. Here’s the best ranks we’ve provided you with;
- MBBS Rank Predictors
- BDS Rank Predictors
Expert Admission Consultants
NEET Counselling takes pride in offering a team of highly experienced and dedicated Expert Admission Consultants who are committed to helping aspiring medical students achieve their dreams. Our consultants possess in-depth knowledge of the medical admission process and stay up-to-date with the latest developments in the field. They are well-versed in the intricacies of NEET counselling, medical college admissions, and various state-specific admission procedures. Here’s how our Expert Admission Consultants can help you with various counselling process
- MBBS Admission Consultant
- BDS Admission Consultant
How many medical colleges are there in Assam?
A: There are currently 12 medical colleges in Assam.
Q. Are all medical colleges in Assam government colleges?
A: Yes, all medical colleges in Assam are run by either the government or semi-government organizations.
Q. Is it difficult to get admission to medical colleges in Assam?
A: Admission to medical colleges in Assam is based on the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) and the competition can be tough, but with proper preparation, dedication, and hard work, one can secure admission to a medical college.
Q. Which is the oldest medical college in Assam?
A: Guwahati Medical College and Hospital is the oldest medical college in Assam, established in 1960.
Q. Is there reservation for students from Assam in medical colleges in the state?
A: Yes, there is a reservation policy for students from Assam in medical colleges in the state.
Q. What is the total number of seats available in medical colleges in Assam?
A: The total number of seats available in medical colleges in Assam is around 1550.
Q. Are there any private medical colleges in Assam?
A: No, there are currently no private medical colleges in Assam.
Q. What is the eligibility criteria for admission to medical colleges in Assam?
A: The eligibility criteria for admission to medical colleges in Assam is a minimum of 50% aggregate marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in 10+2 and qualifying the NEET exam.
Q. What are the top medical colleges in Assam?
A: The top medical colleges in Assam are Guwahati Medical College and Hospital, Assam Medical College, Jorhat, and Silchar Medical College and Hospital.
Q. What is the duration of MBBS course in medical colleges in Assam?
A: The duration of the MBBS course in medical colleges in Assam is 5.5 years, including 1 year of internship.
Q. What are the different courses offered by medical colleges in Assam?
A: The different courses offered by medical colleges in Assam include MBBS, MD, MS, and Diploma courses in various medical specializations.