For the past three years, the number of MBBS seats in government colleges has remained higher than in private colleges, raising hopes that medical education will become more affordable to a wider segment of society.
Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya said in a written response in the Lok Sabha on Friday that there are 91,927 MBBS seats in 2022-23, with 48,212 in government medical colleges and 43,915 in private colleges — a gap of 4,297 seats.
With the NEET 2022 process underway in the country, the Central Government shared a list of MBBS seats available in the country during the Monsoon Session. In India, over 91 thousand seats are available in various government and private medical colleges. The state-specific information is provided below for students, candidates, and other interested parties.
In India, there are total 612 medical colleges, of which 290 are privately managed and have approximately 48,915 seats, and 322 are run by the government and have slightly more than 45,012 seats.
State wise list of Total MBBS Seats in India
|S.No.||Name of the|
|8||Dadra & Nagar|
|14||Jammu & Kashmir||9||1047||1||100||10||1147|
MBBS seats all over India through NEET Exam
NEET UG is the single largest medical entrance exam, with thousands of candidates taking the exam each year. Candidates get admission through NEET Scores & their chosen colleges. Because of the high fees in private medical schools, aspirants often seek government-run medical seats through the NEET, whereas private colleges provides better infrastructure & guidance.
As per MBBS admission, NEET 2022 is a solely entrance test which was held on July 17, 2022 by NTA for over 18 lakh students. Students are now waiting for the National Testing Agency to release the preliminary answer key. The preliminary answer key will be followed by the final answer key, which will be followed by the NEET UG Result.
After the results are announced, students will participate in the NEET UG Counseling, which will be led by the Medical Counseling Committee. Students will be placed in these 91,927 seats across India during the counseling process.
Candidates will be assigned seats based on their NEET score and other eligibility and admission criteria established by the individual Government Medical Colleges. The All India Quota (AIQ) category will allow 15% of total seats in each participating medical college, with the remaining 85% reserved for state medical colleges for candidates from the respective states.
Do you want to study MBBS in India?
In India, there are a limited number of MBBS and BDS seats available. As a result, there is fierce competition for admission to medical schools in India.
All semi-government, government, private, and deemed medical colleges and central universities in India offer MBBS seats.
How many medical seats will be added by 2022?
Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya said in a written response to the Lok Sabha on Friday that there are 91,927 MBBS seats in 2022-23, with 48,212 in government medical colleges and 43,915 in private colleges — a gap of 4,297 seats.
What is a good NEET score?
Aspirants with the following scores have a good chance of admission to top-tier government medical colleges. 590+ can get them into the state’s top colleges via the state quota. A 480+ is a marginal score that will help them pass the State quota.
Is it worthwhile to pursue an MBBS from a private college?
It is not a bad idea to study MBBS in a private college. Students prefer government colleges because private college fees are very high. Private Medical Colleges charge higher fees and have better infrastructure, but government college faculties are more versatile.
Which state has the best medical college?
Tamil Nadu has the most government-run medical colleges, with a total of 21 institutions, and it is the state with the highest annual output of medical graduates, with 2,715.