Dental colleges in Pondicherry provide undergraduate and postgraduate dental education. The Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) program lasts five years, while postgraduate programs last three years. The curriculum is designed to give students a solid foundation in basic and clinical sciences, as well as hands-on experience with dental procedures and patient care. Dental colleges in Pondicherry is aimed at providing students with a strong foundation in basic and clinical sciences, as well as practical training in dental procedures and patient care. The curriculum is designed to meet international standards and prepare graduates for successful careers as dentists, dental surgeons, consultants, researchers, or educators.
The BDS course in Pondicherry dental colleges consists of four years of classroom and clinical training, followed by one year of mandatory internship. Anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, microbiology, pathology, and dental materials are among the topics covered by students. Under the supervision of experienced faculty, they also gain practical experience in dental procedures such as fillings, extractions, root canal treatment, scaling, and polishing. The curriculum for both Undergraduate and postgraduate curse are governed by the National Dental Commission.
Through workshops, seminars, and conferences, dental colleges in Pondicherry also give practicing dentists the chance to further their education and develop professionally. By enhancing their clinical abilities and patient care, dentists can benefit from these programs and stay current on the most recent developments in dental technology and techniques.
Dental Course Facts
|Examination Type||NEET-UG||NEET-MDS Exam|
|Approval From||National Dental Commission||National Dental Commission|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology||BDS degree|
|Duration||5.5 years||3 years|
|Popular Dental Colleges in India||Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, DelhiManipal College of Dental Sciences, ManipalGovernment Dental College and Hospital, MumbaiNair Hospital Dental College, MumbaiSDM College of Dental Sciences and Hospital, Dharwad||Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, ChennaiChristian Dental College, LudhianaNair Hospital Dental College, MumbaiGovernment Dental College and Hospital, Mumbai|
|Popular Dental Colleges In Pondicherry||Indira Gandhi Institute of Dental Sciences, PondicherryMahatma Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Dental Sciences, PuducherryMahe Institute of Dental Sciences & Hospital, MaheSri Venkateshwaraa Dental College, Puducherry||Indira Gandhi Institute of Dental Sciences, PondicherryMahatma Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Dental Sciences, PuducherryMahe Institute of Dental Sciences & Hospital, MaheSri Venkateshwaraa Dental College, Puducherry|
Why is Pondicherry a popular destination for Dental aspirants?
- Reputed Dental Colleges: Pondicherry has some of the most reputed dental colleges in India, such as Mahatma Gandhi Dental College and Hospital, Sri Venkateshwara Dental College and Hospital, Vinayaka Missions Sankarachariyar Dental College, Indira Gandhi Institute of Dental Sciences, and Mahatma Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Dental Sciences.
- Quality Education and Training: Dental colleges in Pondicherry offer quality education and training in dentistry, with a strong emphasis on both theoretical and practical aspects. They have state-of-the-art facilities, experienced faculty, and a comprehensive curriculum that prepares students for a successful career in dentistry.
- Affordable Education: The cost of education and living in Pondicherry is relatively low compared to other major cities in India, making it an affordable destination for dental aspirants.
- Diverse Patient Population: Pondicherry has a diverse patient population, including local residents, tourists, and expatriates. This provides dental students with a wide range of clinical cases and exposure to different cultural and social backgrounds.
- Vibrant Lifestyle: Pondicherry is known for its scenic beauty, French colonial architecture, and tranquil lifestyle. It offers a peaceful and relaxed environment that is conducive to learning and personal growth.
About Dental Courses (BDS & MDS)
- Dentistry is a field of medicine that focuses on the investigation, diagnosis, and treatment of conditions affecting the mouth, maxillofacial region, and related structures. The knowledge and skills needed to work in the dental industry are taught in dental courses. In India, the two primary dental programs are the BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) and the MDS (Master of Dental Surgery).
- An internship of one year is included in the five-year BDS program, which is an undergraduate dental program. Among the topics covered in the course are anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, dental materials, dental histology, microbiology, pathology, pharmacology, and community dentistry. Additionally, students receive practical training in prosthodontics, root canal therapy, tooth extraction, and fillings.
- The three-year MDS program is a postgraduate program in dentistry. The goal of the course is to give students advanced knowledge and skills in a variety of dental specialties, including prosthodontics, orthodontics, pedodontics, periodontics, conservative dentistry, and endodontics. In order to graduate from the MDS program, students must complete a research project.
- Students must have a solid background in biology and science to be successful in both BDS and MDS courses. Additionally, students should be very skilled with their hands, have good communication skills, and focus on the needs of their patients when doing their work. Graduates from dental schools with a BDS or MDS degree can find employment as dental specialists in public and private clinics, research centers, and educational settings.
Career Opportunities & Scope
With technological and scientific advancements, the field of dentistry is also rapidly expanding. The demand for dental services is rising along with the population, presenting more career opportunities for dental specialists. Additionally, the growing emphasis on preventive care and early intervention is opening up more opportunities for dental professionals due to the increased awareness of oral health and hygiene. Following are a few of the career options open to BDS and MDS graduates:
- Private Practice: Graduates of BDS or MDS programs can open their own private practices and offer patients dental care after completing their programs. For those who have the entrepreneurial spirit and are willing to take risks, private practice can be a lucrative option.
- Hospital dentistry: Many hospitals have dental departments where dental specialists collaborate with other medical specialists to offer patients comprehensive medical care.
- Academician: Graduates with an MDS degree can work in research and teaching capacities at dental universities and colleges. Additionally, they can work toward a Ph.D. in dentistry and advance the subject through research.
- Dentistry for public health: Dentists can work for governmental and non-governmental institutions that prioritize promoting dental health and preventing dental diseases.
- Dental Industry: The dental industry has a variety of career options, including sales, marketing, and the design and development of dental tools and supplies.
Salary Range & Job Outlook
The salary range for dental professionals in India varies depending on factors such as qualifications, experience, location, and the nature of the job. Here is an approximate salary range for various job profiles in the dental field:
|Job Profile||Salary Range|
|BDS fresher||Rs. 20,000/- to Rs. 40,000/- Per Month|
|MDS fresher||Rs. 35,000/- to Rs. 60,000/- Per Month|
|Private Practice||Rs. 50,000/- to Rs. 2,00,000/-Per Month|
|Hospital Dentistry||Rs. 40,000/- to Rs. 1,00,000/-Per Month|
|Academician||Rs. 40,000/- to Rs. 1,00,000/- Per Month|
|Public Health Dentistry||Rs. 30,000/- to Rs. 70,000/- Per Month|
|Dental Industry||Rs. 30,000/- to Rs. 1,00,000/- Per Month|
The increasing awareness about oral health and hygiene is leading to a greater demand for preventive care and early intervention, creating more job opportunities for dental professionals. The job outlook for dental professionals in India is positive, with plenty of opportunities for growth and advancement in the field.
Puducherry NEET Counselling Procedure
Step 1. Visit the Website:
- Go to www.centacpuducherry.in to apply for Undergraduate Medical/Dental/Ayurveda/Veterinary courses.
Step 2. Create Login Details:
- Provide a valid Mobile Number and Email ID on the “New Registration” page.
- Carefully enter your Mobile Number and Email ID as all future communications will be sent to them.
- Create a new password (up to six characters) specifically for online registration (different from your email account password).
Step 3. Enter Information:
- Fill in all required details on the application form.
- Verify that all information is accurate as it will be used throughout the admission process, and changes won’t be allowed.
Step 4. Login:
- After successful registration, log in using your “registered email-id” and “password” to access the online application form.
Step 5. Document Upload (where necessary):
Upload the following documents as required:
- Passport size photograph of the applicant (20 to 50 KB)
- Scanned signature of the applicant (20 to 50 KB)
- Self-attested copy of High School/Higher Secondary Certificate/Birth Certificate for date of birth verification (100 to 500 KB)
- Self-attested copy of Residence/Community/EWS/Freedom Fighter/Ex-Serviceman/Person with Disabilities/Sports certificates, if applicable (100 to 500 KB)
- Affidavit as per Annexure I-A on a 20 Rs. E-Stamp paper duly attested by a Notary for claiming Puducherry Residence.
- Self-attested copy of Admit Card of UG-NEET 2023 (100 to 500 KB)
- Self-attested copy of Score card of UG-NEET 2023 (100 to 500 K
1. Round 1 and Round 2 Allotment:
- For Government Quota, Management Quota, and NRI seats, Round 1 and Round 2 allotments are available.
- NRI candidates can choose between online and offline modes.
- CENTAC can decide to conduct counseling online or offline based on the situation.
2. Online Allotment:
Allotment in Rounds 1 and 2 is based on:
- Candidate’s course preferences
- Seat category
- NEET Rank
If a candidate doesn’t submit course preferences, they won’t be allotted a seat.
3. Round 2 Allotment:
- Candidates must express their willingness and pay Registration Fees (for M.B.B.S.) before selecting course preferences in Round 2.
4. Download Allotment Order:
- After publishing the provisional allotment list, allotted candidates should log in and download their Allotment Order.
5. Reporting to College:
- Allotted candidates must report to their assigned college within the scheduled date and time.
- Required documents: Application form, Provisional Allotment Order, and original certificates.
- After document verification and fee payment, colleges will confirm provisional admission and issue an Admission slip.
6. Mopup and Stray Vacancy Counselling:
- Detailed guidelines for Mopup and Stray Vacancy Counselling will be available on the CENTAC website.
7. Sliding in Round 2:
- If a seat is allotted during sliding in Round 2, the previous allotment will be forfeited.
- College-to-college sliding is allowed during counseling based on merit and reservation.
- Individual transfer requests are not permitted.
- Mutual transfers are also not allowed.
8. Offline Counselling (If Necessary):
- If a candidate can’t attend offline counseling due to unforeseen reasons, they can authorize a representative.
- The authorized representative must provide an undertaking and authority letter along with the required original documents.
- The allotment made to the representative will be binding on the candidate.
9. Maintain Discipline:
- Candidates should behave responsibly during counseling for its smooth conduct.
- Engagement in any inappropriate activities will result in disqualification from the current and future academic sessions.
|All (except SC/ST/PwD)||Type of Quota||SC/ST/PwD|
|Rs. 1000 /-||Govt. Quota (Puducherry Residents)||Rs. 500 /-|
|Rs. 2000 /-||Management Quota (All)||Rs. 1000 /-|
|Rs. 5000 /-||NRI / NRI Sponsored / FN / OCI / PIO||_|
Documents Required for UG Course
- 10+2 mark sheet and Certificate of passing
- Birth certificate / 10th mark sheet
- Nativity Certificate
- Category certificate (if applicable)
- Character certificate
- Proof of Identity (Aadhaar, PAN Card, Driving license)
- Allotment Letters
- Payment receipt of application fee
- A printed copy of the filled-in online application form
- Photographs (passport size)
- Demand Draft (DD) receipt
- NEET Rank Card and Admit Card
Documents Required for PG Course
- MBBS pass certificate and completion certificate.
- NEET PG 2023 admit card.
- NEET PG 2023 scorecard.
- Final MBBS part II mark sheet.
- CRRI certificate.
- Community certificate, if applicable.
- Permanent/provisional medical registration certificate issued by NMC.
MCC Counseling Registration
|1||Visit MCC Official Website||Go to the official MCC Counselling 2023|
|2||Find the Registration Link||Locate and click on the “Registration” or “New Registration” link on the homepage.|
|3||Read the Instructions||Carefully read and understand the provided instructions, guidelines, and eligibility criteria.|
|4||Fill in Personal Details||Enter accurate personal information: full name, date of birth, gender, contact number, email, etc.|
|5||NEET UG Details||Provide NEET UG exam details: roll number, application number, and exam year.|
|6||Generate Login Credentials||Create a unique username and strong password for future access to the counseling portal.|
|7||Payment of Registration Fee||Pay the prescribed fee using available online payment options. Follow provided payment instructions.|
|8||Verify and Submit||Review entered information, make corrections if needed, and submit the registration form.|
|9||Confirmation and Printout||Receive a confirmation message/email upon successful submission. Print or save as PDF for records.|
|10||Keep Registration Details Secure||Safely store registration number, login credentials, and payment receipt for future reference.|
|15% AIQ/Central Universities||Rs. 1,000||Rs. 500|
|Deemed University||Rs. 5,000||Rs. 5,000|
Security Fee (Refundable)
|15% AIQ/Central Universities||Rs. 1,0000||Rs. 5,000|
|Deemed University||Rs. 2,00,000||Rs. 2,00,000|
MCC Counselling Process
MCC will be the conducting the counselling process for admission to Medical, Dental Colleges and Nursing Colleges for the AIQ, Central Institues, University, AIMS, JIPMER , Deemed universities, AMU, BHU and etc. The Counselling will be held in Four Rounds Namely Round 1, Round 2, Round 3 and additional Round known as Stray vacancy round which will be the last round for the counselling and admission. Here’re are some details about each round given below:
- Register for Main Counseling: Visit www.mcc.nic.in and register for Round-1 by paying a Non-Refundable Registration fee and Refundable Security Deposit.
- Choice Filling and Locking: Choose your preferred institutes and courses during the specified days and lock your choices.
- Seat Allotment Round-1: Based on your choices and merit, seats will be allotted in Round-1.
- Result Publication: The Round-1 result will be published on the MCC website.
- Upload Essential Certificates: After the result is declared, upload the necessary certificates as per the guidelines.
- Physical Reporting: If allotted a seat, physically report to the allocated Medical/Dental College with original documents. Those who want to upgrade to Round-2 must report with their original documents.
- Candidates Not Allotted in Round-1: If you weren’t allotted a seat in Round-1, no need to register again. You will automatically be considered for Round-2.
- Fresh Registration for Round-2: New candidates or those who didn’t register in Round-1 must register for Round-2 by paying the fees.
- Choice Filling and Locking: Fill new choices and lock them during the specified period.
- Seat Allotment Round-2: Seats will be allotted based on your choices and merit.
- Result Publication: The Round-2 result will be published on the MCC website.
- Upload Essential Certificates: After the Round-2 result is declared, upload the necessary certificates as per the guidelines.
- Physical Reporting: If allotted a seat in Round-2, physically report to the allocated Medical/Dental College. Upgraded candidates must take relieving from Round-1 seat and join Round-2 seat.
- Candidates Not Allotted in Previous Rounds: If you were not allotted a seat in Round-1 or Round-2, no need to register again. You will be considered for Round-3.
- Fresh Registration for Round-3: New candidates or those who didn’t register in Round-1 or Round-2 must register for Round-3 by paying the fees.
- Choice Filling and Locking: Fill new choices and lock them during the specified period.
- Seat Allotment Round-3: Seats will be allotted based on your choices and merit.
- Result Publication: The Round-3 result will be published on the MCC website.
- Upload Essential Certificates: After the Round-3 result is declared, upload the necessary certificates as per the guidelines.
- Physical Reporting: If allotted a seat in Round-3, physically report to the allocated Medical/Dental College.
FINAL STRAY VACANCY ROUND:
- Fresh Registrations: Candidates must register for the Final Stray Vacancy Round.
- Elimination: Candidates with allotted seats in other rounds will be eliminated from the Stray Vacancy Round.
- Stray Vacancy Round: The AIQ Stray Vacancy Round for vacant seats will be conducted online by MCC of DGHS, MoHFW.
- Seat Allotment: Seats will be allotted based on merit in the Stray Vacancy Round.
- Joining Allotted Seat: If allotted a seat in the Stray Round, the candidate must join the allocated seat/college. Failure to join will result in debarment from NEET examination for 01 year and forfeiture of fees.
(Note: Candidates can participate in Round-2 or Round-3 directly without fresh registration if they are not allotted a seat in the previous round. Upgraded candidates cannot claim their previous round seat.)
Documents Required for UG Courses
- NEET-UG Admissions card and score card.
- Class X Mark Sheet
- Class XI Mark Sheet
- H.S.C. Mark sheet or any other equivalent exam.
- Transfer certificate
- Graduation Certificate (if required)
- Permanent Community Certificate Card.
- Income Certificate for the candidates claiming fee exemption.
- Nativity certificate and supporting documentation are required for applicants who have studied from Standard VI to Standard XII in a state other than Tamil Nadu.
- The candidate who is a Tamil Nadu native and has studied from VI to XII standard in Tamil Nadu schools should also present supporting documentation of the parent’s certificates.
- Special Category Form with an additional fee of Rs.100/- via Bank payment portal with relevant certificates for Persons with Benchmark Disabilities, Eminent Sports Person and Ex-Servicemen, as applicable, along with the online application form should be uploaded.
NEET College Predictors
We understand the significance of choosing the right medical college for your bright future. Our website offers a variety of college predictors to ensure that you make informed decisions during the NEET counseling process.
With our NEET Score Predictor, input your NEET score, and instantly receive a personalized list of colleges where you have a higher chance of getting admitted. Our state-wise and category-based predictors further refine your options based on your preferences, giving you accurate and tailored results. we have offered you the top-of-the-class college predictors here’s the list of the college predictor for you;
- MBBS College Predictors
- BDS College Predictors
NEET Rank Predictors
NEET Rank Predictors are innovative tools designed to assist medical aspirants in estimating their All India Rank (AIR) in the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET). As one of the most competitive medical entrance exams in India, NEET plays a pivotal role in determining admission to undergraduate medical courses. NEET Rank Predictors empower students with insights into their performance, helping them set realistic goals and make informed decisions during the college selection process. Here’s the best ranks we’ve provided you with;
- MBBS Rank Predictors
- BDS Rank Predictors
Expert Admission Consultants
NEET Counselling takes pride in offering a team of highly experienced and dedicated Expert Admission Consultants who are committed to helping aspiring medical students achieve their dreams. Our consultants possess in-depth knowledge of the medical admission process and stay up-to-date with the latest developments in the field. They are well-versed in the intricacies of NEET counselling, medical college admissions, and various state-specific admission procedures. Here’s how our Expert Admission Consultants can help you with various counselling process
- MBBS Admission Consultant
- BDS Admission Consultant
Participating Dental Colleges
Government Dental Colleges in Pondicherry:
|College Name||Affiliation||Institute Type||Established Year||Seat Intake||Tuition Fees|
|Mahatma Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Dental Sciences, Puducherry||Pondicherry University||Government||1990||110||83, 090/-|
Private Dental Colleges in Pondicherry:
|College Name||Affiliation||Institute Type||Established Year||Seat Intake||Tuition Fees|
|Indira Gandhi Institute of Dental Sciences, Pondicherry||Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth University, Puducherry||Private||2022||100||83, 090|
|Mahe Institute of Dental Sciences & Hospital, Mahe||Pondicherry University||Private||2009||100||6,50,000|
|Sri Venkateshwaraa Dental College, Puducherry||Pondicherry University||Private||2015||100||6,50,000|
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the eligibility criteria for admission to dental colleges in Pondicherry?
A. To be eligible for admission to undergraduate dental courses, candidates must have completed their 10+2 education with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as mandatory subjects. For postgraduate dental courses, candidates must have completed their Bachelor’s degree in Dental Science (BDS).
Q. What is the duration of dental courses offered in Pondicherry?
A. The duration of undergraduate dental courses (BDS) is 5 years, while the duration of postgraduate dental courses (MDS) is 3 years.
Q. What are the career opportunities after completing a dental course in Pondicherry?
A. After completing a dental course in Pondicherry, students can work as a dentist in private clinics or hospitals, or they can pursue higher studies and research in the field of dentistry. They can also work as faculty members in dental colleges or pursue a career in public health.
Q, What is the mode of admission to dental colleges in Pondicherry?
A. The mode of admission varies depending on the college and the course. However, most dental colleges in Pondicherry admit students based on their performance in national-level entrance exams such as NEET-UG for undergraduate courses and NEET-PG for postgraduate courses. Some colleges also conduct their entrance exams or consider marks obtained in the qualifying examination.
Q. Are dental colleges in Pondicherry affiliated with any university?
A. Yes, most dental colleges in Pondicherry are affiliated with either Pondicherry University or Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth Deemed University.
Q. What is the medium of instruction in dental colleges in Pondicherry?
A. The medium of instruction in most dental colleges in Pondicherry is English.
Q. Do dental colleges in Pondicherry provide hostel facilities?
A. Yes, most dental colleges in Pondicherry provide hostel facilities for both boys and girls, with separate hostels for each. The hostels are well-equipped with all the necessary facilities such as mess, recreation, and medical facilities.
Q. What are the specializations offered in postgraduate dental courses in Pondicherry?
A. The specializations offered in postgraduate dental courses (MDS) vary depending on the college. However, some of the popular specializations include Oral Surgery, Orthodontics, Prosthodontics, Pedodontics, Periodontics, and Endodontics.
Q. Are dental courses in Pondicherry recognized by the National Dental Commission?
A. Yes, all dental courses offered in Pondicherry are recognized by the National Dental Commission, which is the regulatory body for dental education in India.