MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics is a three-year postgraduate course that deals with the diagnosis, prevention, and correction of malocclusion along with other abnormalities available in the developing or mature oro-facial structures. The degree is designed to provide a thorough knowledge of dentofacial orthopedics, clinical orthodontics, mechanotherapy, and other related topics covered in the MDS Orthodontics curriculum. Students interested in occlusal and dento-facial malocclusions, as well as interception and adjustment of malocclusions, in addition to treating other malformations of oro-facial structures, can pursue MDS Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics.
The NEET MDS Exam administered by the National Testing Agency (NTA) determines eligibility for admission to the MDS Course (National Testing Agency) at various government and dental colleges. A candidate’s eligibility for the MDS program is based on their NEET exam score. 50% of the MDS seats obtained through the AIQ quota are managed and governed by the Medical Counseling Committee (MCC), and the remaining 50% are handled by the appropriate state counseling organizations.
Why should you pursue a career in orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics?
- MDS Orthodontics has a wide range of applications in India, and there are employment opportunities in prestigious businesses in both the public and private sectors. Graduates have the option of continuing their education to gain new skills and knowledge.
- graduates have a variety of career options, including Dental Assistant and Orthodontist, with promising pay scales for seasoned professionals. Such other candidates favor pursuing higher education and working as professors in any government or private dental institutions.
- After completing their MDS Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics course, many applicants choose to pursue an academic career and choose higher education. In order to further their research and analyze their field of work, candidates register in PhD programs in their areas of interest.
- MDS Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics students in India earn between Rs. 2,50,000/- and Rs, 10,00,000/-per year. Candidates with at least 10 years of experience can earn up to INR 15,00,000 per year.
- 1 Course Highlights
- 2 MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics Syllabus
- 3 MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics Courses Entrance Exams
- 4 MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics Average Salary Range
- 5 MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics Courses Scope & Career Opportunities
- 6 Courses Eligibility Criteria
- 7 NEET PG Cut-Off 2023
- 8 MDS College Predictor
- 9 MDS Admission Consultant
- 10 Frequently Asked Question
- 10.1 Q. What is MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics courses?
- 10.2 Q. What is duration of the MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics courses?
- 10.3 Q. Is MDS a viable career path?
- 10.4 Q. What are the various job profiles offered by the MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial orthopaedics?
- 10.5 Q. Can I study MDS Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics part-time or through correspondence?
|Name of Course||MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics|
|Eligibility||Bachelor of Dental Surgery|
|Admission||Admission to MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics can only be done on the basis of NEET MDS Score|
|Governing Bodies||National Dental Commission|
|Entrance Exams||NEET MDS Exam|
|Average Fees Range||Rs. 8,00,000/- To Rs. 22,00,000/- per Annum|
|Average Salary Range||Rs. 2,50,000/- and Rs. 10,00,000/-per year|
|Job Profile||Dental Surgeon, Professor, Dental Hygienist, Orthodontist, Dentist Hygienist, General Practitioner, and MDS Coordinator, etc.|
MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics Syllabus
|Academic years||Semester-vise subjects|
|First Year||Semester 1|
|Applied AnatomyPhysiologyDental materialsBiostatistics-I|
|Diagnosis and Treatment Planning Orthodontic HistoryConcepts of occlusion and estheticsEtiology and Classification of MalocclusionApplied research methodology in Orthodontics|
|Second Year||Semester 3|
|Clinical Orthodontics and MechanotherapyCleft Lip and Palate RehabilitationDentofacial OrthopedicsBiostatistics-II|
|Diagnostic procedures and treatment planning in orthodonticsOrthodontics HistoryChild and Adult Psychology|
|Third Year||Semester 5|
|Applied PhysiologyApplied OrthodonticsPractical-IPhysical Anthropology|
|Practice management in OrthodonticsClinical OrthodonticsApplied PharmacologyPractical-IIViva|
MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics Courses Entrance Exams
|MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics||NEET MDS Exam|
MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics Fees Structure
|Course Name||Fees Range|
|MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics||Rs. 8,00,000/- To Rs. 22,00,000/- Per Annum|
Above is an approximate range of MDS course fees, which may differ from college to college, and fees have been bifurcated based on MDS course fees in private colleges and MDS course fees in government colleges.
MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics Average Salary Range
|Job Profile||Salary Range|
|Dental Assistant||Rs. 2,00,000/- To Rs. 4,50,000/- Per Annum|
|Orthodontists||Rs. 5,00,000/- To Rs. 10,00,000/- Per Annum|
|Professors||Rs. 7,00,000/- To Rs. 10,00,000/- Per Annum|
|Dental Hygienist||Rs. 4,00,000/- To Rs.7,00,000/- Per Annum|
|General Practitioner||Rs. 3,00,000/- To Rs. 5,50,000/- Per Annum|
|MDS Coordinator||Rs. 2,00,000/- To Rs. 6,00,000/- Per Annum|
|Public Health Specialists||Rs. 3,00,000/- To Rs. 5,50,000/- Per Annum|
|Dental Lab Technician / Ceramist||Rs. 5,00,000/- To Rs. 8,00,000/- Per Annum|
Graduating from the MDS courses can open many doors to career opportunities with the best pay grade. The above table shows the salary range for graduates pursuing careers in the dental field.
MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics Courses Scope & Career Opportunities
- MDS Orthodontics has many applications in India, and there are job opportunities in both the public and private sectors. Graduates can further their education to acquire new skills and knowledge.
- Graduates have a variety of career options available to them, including Dental Assistant and Orthodontist, with promising pay scales for experienced professionals. Other candidates prefer to further their education and work as professors in government or private dental schools.
- Students studying MDS Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics in India can expect to make between Rs. 2,50,000 and Rs. 10,000 per year. Candidates can make up to INR 15,00,000 annually if they have at least 10 years of experience.
- Students choose to serve as professors or teaching assistants in some dental institutions where they can educate students and earn easy money. After earning their MDS, students would prefer to open their own clinic or hospital. For college students who have a sizable amount of money, this is the best choice.
- Many candidates prefer to continue their education after completing their MDS Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics course. As a result, candidates enroll in a Ph.D. program in their field of interest and continue their research and analysis.
Courses Eligibility Criteria
|Nationality||Candidates must be Indian citizens. Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) are also eligible to take the entrance test|
|Qualification||Candidates must have completed BDS or equivalent undergraduate dental courses.|
|Registration||A candidate should have a provisional or permanent registration certificate from DCI or the State Dental Council (SDC).|
|Internship||Candidate must complete 1-year internship|
NEET PG Cut-Off 2023
|Categories||Cut off percentile||Cutoff marks|
MDS College Predictor
The MDS College Predictor predicts a candidate’s chances of acceptance into the dental colleges of their choice. The MDS College Predictor implements a unique algorithm to identify and predict the most suitable colleges for students where they can pursue their dental studies by combining the opening and closing ranks from the previous year’s NEET counseling statistics. Feel free to use our college predictor to choose a suitable college.
MDS Admission Consultant
MDS Admission Consultants assist and guide students in gaining admission to their preferred dental colleges. With a desire to assist individuals who are having difficulty taking admission or understanding the admission procedure in the medical stream because of an absence of knowledge or improper guidance, we have gathered the leading medical experts with decades of experience in the field to guide each individual to admission in their preferred college. Our top admission consultants are committed to serving each individual with the utmost integrity around the clock. Feel free to contact our admission consultant for any admission-related queries.
Frequently Asked Question
Q. What is MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics courses?
A. The MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics is a three-year postgraduate course that focuses on the diagnosis, prevention, and correction of malocclusions as well as other abnormalities in developing or mature oro-facial structures.
Q. What is duration of the MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics courses?
A. The duration of MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics courses is 3 years
Q. Is MDS a viable career path?
A. Pursuing a Master of Dental Surgery (M.D.S.) degree can provide you with a more in-depth understanding of the field. It is the highest educational degree in dentistry and can increase your chances of working as a dentist in reputable institutions.
Q. What are the various job profiles offered by the MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial orthopaedics?
A. The various job profile offered by MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics are Dental Assistants, Orthodontists, Professors, Dental Hygienists, General Practitioners, MDS Coordinators, Public Health Specialists, and Dental Lab Technicians / Ceramists, etc.
Q. Can I study MDS Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics part-time or through correspondence?
A. MDS Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics are currently offered in a few colleges in India, with limited seat availability in the regular mode.