MDS in oral and maxillofacial surgery is a three-year postgraduate program that concentrates on facial surgical treatment, facial trauma surgery, the oral cavity, the head and neck, the mouth as well as jaws, and facial cosmetic procedures. The program aids students in developing their academic, clinical, and interpersonal skills for a variety of career options in the oral and maxillofacial departments. The MDS in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery program aids in the creation of knowledgeable specialists who can diagnose, treat surgically, and use adjunctive methods to treat conditions affecting the human jaws, oral and facial systems, and other structures.
Admission to the MDS Course (National Testing Agency) in various government and dental colleges is determined by the National Testing Agency’s (NTA) NEET MDS Exam. The NEET exam score determines a candidate’s eligibility for the MDS program. The Medical Counseling Committee (MCC) manages and regulates MDS counseling for 50% of MDS seats obtained through the AIQ quota; the remaining 50% of MDS seats are handled by the appropriate state counseling agencies.
Why should you pursue a career as an MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery?
- MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery provides the opportunity to perform difficult, complex, and life-changing surgeries. The scope of oral surgery is vast, ranging from simple dental surgery to technically demanding oral cancer surgical operations.
- Graduates of the MDS in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery program in India can find employment in government and international healthcare organizations. Pathology, Physiology, Dental Materials, Removable Prosthodontics, Oral Implantology, Fixed Prosthodontics, and other fields employ MDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, graduates.
- Oral and maxillofacial surgeons frequently collaborate with specialists from other departments, such as pediatricians, medical oncologists, plastic surgeons, surgical oncologists, ENT surgeons, orthodontists, restorative dentists, radiologists, and neurosurgeons.
- Graduates of MDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery have numerous job opportunities both in India and abroad. They can work as independent contractors in other countries’ healthcare sectors generating the best pay scale between Rs. 4,00,000/- to Rs. 10,00,000/-.
- One can also pursue higher studies such Ph.D., M.ch or other postgraduate diploma Courses
|Name of Course||MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery|
|Eligibility||Bachelor of Dental Surgery|
|Admission||Admission to MDS in Periodontology can only be done on the basis of NEET MDS Score|
|Governing Bodies||National Dental Commission|
|Entrance Exams||NEET MDS Exam|
|Average Fees Range||Rs. 3,00,000/- To Rs. 7,00,000/- per Annum|
|Average Salary Range||Rs. 4,00,000/- To Rs. 10,00,000/- Per Annum|
|Job Profile||Private Practitioners, Public Health Specialists, Dental Lab Technician / Ceramist, Medical Representative / Sales Representative, Oral Pathologist and etc|
MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Syllabus
|Academic years||Semester-vise subjects|
|First Year||Semester 1|
|Theory and practical application of basic sciencesMinor Oral Surgery and TraumaSeminarsSelection of dissertation topicSubmission of synopsisWard and OT dutiesObserve Major Surgeries|
|General Medicine and SurgeryOphthalmology / CasualtyNeuroSurgery / ICUENTPediatricsPlastic Surgery|
|Second Year||Semester 3|
|General principles of SurgeryManagement of Medical EmergenciesExamination and DiagnosisExodontia and ImpactionPre-prosthetic SurgeryInfections and nervous disorders of the Head, and Neck region|
|Local and General AnesthesiaOral ImplantologyMaxillary, Frontal, Sphenoid, Ethmoid air sinusesHead and neck cancer ward postingObserve and assist major surgeriesCollecting blood samplesGive IV and IM injectionsInsertion of Nasogastric tubePaper and poster presentation in conferences|
|Third Year||Semester 5|
|Salivary glandsTemporomandibular Joint disordersCyst, and TumorsInfections of the head, neck, and face regionOral cancerCleft lip and plateCongenital facial defectsBurns|
|Flaps, and graftsMicrovascular reconstructionFacial Plastic SurgeryCryosurgery and LASER surgerySubmission of thesisTracheostomyEndotracheal IntubationPaper and poster presentation in conferencesAssist and perform Major surgeries|
MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Courses Entrance Exams
|MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery||NEET MDS Exam|
MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Fees Structure
|Course Name||Fees Range|
|MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery||Rs. 3,00,000/- To Rs. 7,00,000/- per Annum|
Above is an approximate range of MDS course fees, which may differ from college to college and fees have been bifurcated based on MDS course fees in private colleges and MDS course fees in government colleges.
MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Courses Average Salary Range
|Job Profiles||Salary Range|
|Dental Assistant||Rs. 2,00,000/- To Rs. 4,50,000/- Per Annum|
|Oral Pathologist||Rs. 5,00,000/- To Rs. 7,00,000/- Per Annum|
|Professors||Rs. 2,00,000/- To Rs. 6,00,000/- Per Annum|
|Dental Hygienist||Rs. 6,00,000/- To Rs.8,00,000/- Per Annum|
|Dental Surgeon||Rs. 6,00,000/- To Rs. 12,50,000/- Per Annum|
|Clinical Researcher||Rs. 3,00,000/- To Rs. 5,50,000/- Per Annum|
|Private Practitioners||Rs. 3,00,000/- To Rs. 6,80,000/- Per Annum|
|Public Health Specialists||Rs. 3,00,000/- To Rs. 5,50,000/- Per Annum|
|Dental Lab Technician / Ceramist||Rs. 5,00,000/- To Rs. 8,00,000/- Per Annum|
Graduating from the MDS courses can open many doors to career opportunities with the best pay grade. The above table shows the salary range for graduates pursuing careers in the dental field.
MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Courses Scope & Career Opportunities
- MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery allows students to perform difficult, complex, as well as life-changing procedures. The oral procedure includes an extensive variety of procedures, from simple dental surgery to technologically demanding oral cancer surgical operations.
- MDS in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery graduates in India can find work in government and international healthcare organizations. MDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery graduates are employed in Pathology, Physiology, Dental Materials, Removable Prosthodontics, Oral Implantology, Fixed Prosthodontics, and other fields.
- There are many job opportunities for MDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery graduates in India and abroad. They can be independent healthcare personnel earning the best pay between Rs. 4,00,000 and Rs. 10,00,000 in the healthcare sectors of other nations.
- Many government departments are hiring MDSs in oral and maxillofacial surgery. The most prevalent Central Government positions available to MDS in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery graduates are in the cultural department, schools, and colleges. The pay range for MDS Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery government positions in India is INR 4.8 to 9 LPA.
Courses Eligibility Criteria
|Nationality||Candidates must be Indian citizens. Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) are also eligible to take the entrance test|
|Qualification||Candidates must have completed BDS or equivalent undergraduate dental courses.|
|Registration||A candidate should have a provisional or permanent registration certificate from DCI or the State Dental Council (SDC).|
|Internship||Candidate must complete 1-year internship|
NEET PG Cut-Off 2023
|Categories||Cut off percentile||Cutoff marks|
MDS College Predictor
The MDS College Predictor predicts a candidate’s chances of acceptance into the dental colleges of their choice. The MDS College Predictor implements a unique algorithm to identify and predict the most suitable colleges for students where they can pursue their dental studies by combining the opening and closing ranks from the previous year’s NEET counseling statistics. Feel free to use our college predictor to choose a suitable college.
MDS Admission Consultant
MDS Admission Consultants assist and guide students in gaining admission to their preferred dental colleges. With a desire to assist individuals who are having difficulty taking admission or understanding the admission procedure in the medical stream because of an absence of knowledge or improper guidance, we have gathered the leading medical experts with decades of experience in the field to guide each individual to admission in their preferred college. Our top admission consultants are committed to serving each individual with the utmost integrity around the clock. Feel free to contact our admission consultant for any admission-related queries.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is MDS in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Course?
A. The MDS program in oral and maxillofacial surgery is a three-year postgraduate program that focuses on facial surgery, facial trauma surgery, the oral cavity, the head and neck, the mouth and jaws, and facial cosmetic procedures.
Q. After MDS oral and maxillofacial surgery, what are the options?
A. Graduates from India’s MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery programs can work for national and international healthcare organizations. Graduates of the MDS program in oral and maxillofacial surgery work in fields like pathology, physiology, dental materials, removable prosthetics, oral implantology, and fixed prosthetics.
A. How much does an Indian MDS maxillofacial surgeon make?
A. Oral Maxillofacial Surgeon salaries in India range from Rs. 1,12,000/- to Rs. 22,00,000/- per year, with an average annual salary of Rs. 6,50,000/-.
Q. What is the salary of an MDS doctor in India?
A. Average annual salary in MDS is Rs. 6,60,000/-.
Q. What is the duration for the MDS in oral and maxillofacial surgery?
A. The duration of MDS in oral and maxillofacial surgery is 3 years.
Q. What are the various job profiles offered by the MDS in oral and maxillofacial surgery?
A. The various job profile offered by MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery are Dental Assistant, Oral Pathologist, Professor, Dental Hygienist, Dental Surgeon, Clinical Researcher, Private Practitioner, Public Health Specialist, and Dental Lab Technician / Ceramistetc
Q. What are the average fees range for MDS in oral and maxillofacial surgery?
A. the avergae fees range for MDS in oral and maxillofacial surgery is Rs. 3,00,000/- To Rs. 7,00,000/- per Annum.